Resources for Farms
SMADC has developed a wide range of tools, resources and support for farms, including grants, mentorships, equipment rental, forums, workshops and more. We offer support in marketing, in business development, and in navigating the often complex legislation associated with specialty fields.
SMADC's various programs offer opportunities for farms to market their products and take advantage of the "buy local" brand campaign:
- Join So. Maryland, So Good (open to farms in So. Maryland, free)
- Join Southern Maryland Meats (meat producers only, free)
- Identify your products as local with the So. Maryland, So Good marketing kit (members only)
- Join SOUTHERN MARYLAND TRAILS: EARTH, ART, IMAGINATION (farms, arts, foods, etc.)
Several grant programs specific to farms include the Farm Viability Grant Program, Regional Grants and the Grapes For Wine Grants:
- learn more about the grant program
- sign up for e-mail notifications about upcoming grant opportunities, or follow SMADC on Facebook or Twitter
SMADC has created an extensive on-line community, Maryland FarmLINK, where farmers can find partners, mentors, advice and more. Specific resources available on the site include:
- a Farm Forum where members can discuss various farming issues
- a property exchange to list farmland for sale or lease
- a person-to-person feature that allows users to communicate with other members, find mentors, etc.
- a list of upcoming workshops in the region
- a list of ag-related agencies (local, regional, national)
SMADC offers periodic training sessions/seminars, on-line tutorials, mentoring opportunities and a comprehensive list of regional workshops.
- take one of these on-line tutorials designed by SMADC
- sign up for e-mail notifications about upcoming SMADC training
- be matched with a mentor/mentee via the Maryland Farmlink Mentor Match Program (in-person) or connect with an on-line mentor via the Maryland FarmLINK's "Search for Mentor" feature
- bookmark Maryland FarmLINK's workshops page, an up-to-date list of workshops and seminars offered by SMADC and other agencies throughout the region
- see a list of past training, workshops and seminars offered by SMADC [coming]
SMADC has several resources for those wishing to buy, lease or sell farmland, including tools for REALTORS interested in selling agricultural real estate.
- a property exchange to list farmland for sale or lease on the Maryland FarmLINK website
- an ag-specific realtor training course offered jointly by Maryland Farmlink, Maryland Department of Agriculture and the University of Maryland
- a listing of real estate professionals who have completed an ag-specific realtor training course
SMADC is developing resources specific to new and/or young farmers, including:
- the START (Starting, Transitioning and ReTurning) Farmers' Network
- a page of resources and links to resourced for new/young/returning farmers
SMADC purchases equipment for use by local farms, including:
- an array of tools and equipment to rent in the five Southern Maryland counties
- refrigerated trailers for use by Southern Maryland meat producers in getting animals to/from processing
- freezer cases in central locations throughout So. Maryland dedicated to local meats
SMADC is developing a recruitment program highlighting the qualities that make Southern Maryland a "farm-friendly" region. Read more.
SMADC provides grants and other support to markets in Southern Maryland, and those outside the region that carry a significant amount of products originating in Southern Maryland. Read more.