The Crop Hop (A Cycling Tour of So. Maryland Farms)
The Crop Hop is a fund-raiser bike tour designed to highlight the connection between farms, fresh food and good health, and to help provide fresh farm foods to low-income families in Southern Maryland.
Each October, the Crop Hop tours farms in one of the five Southern Maryland counties. The event features food grown and raised locally, and farms and sponsors are invited to set up educational/informational exhibits that participants may visit before and after the ride. There are four routes through the scenic Southern Maryland countryside: a 62-mile route (metric century), two mid-distance routes and an easy, family-friendly, route. [see the crop hop website for complete details]
All proceeds from the Crop Hop (after expenses) will be used to purchase fresh farm food for low-income families.
- four routes to accommodate all skill levels
- six to twelve farms featured as "Crop Hop Stops;" farms offer tours and educational presentations to riders
- streamlined on-line registration system for riders and volunteers
- a free meal featuring local farm food and meat, and a free T-shirt to each registered participant
- promotional and marketing support from SMADC to participating farms and sponsors
- a dedicated Facebook page
- a dedicated Twitter feed
If you would like more information about the Crop Hop, e-mail the event director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Be a Crop Hop Stop! If you would like to suggest your farm as a potential Crop Hop Stop for a future event, or if you are interested in having a presence (booth or exhibit) for your farm or farm-related business, please e-mail email@example.com.
Be a Crop Hop Sponsor! Sponsors are needed each year, including in-kind donations. If your business or organization would like to sponsor or donate, see this page.
Read more about all of these SMADC programs: